Thursday, November 8, 2007

STRAIGHT FROM THE HORSE'S MOUTH: THE REAL STORY BEHIND THE NPC MURAL

The brouhaha where my beloved organization, the National Press Club, is now neck-deep into would have been avoided had my FORMER friends in Angono, Rizal to whom I gave the rarest opportunity of painting two major artworks- the Armed Forces of the Philippines Mural and the now world-renowned NPC mural- only followed what was agreed on.

Among all the people whose names were dragged into this mess, I can say that I am the only person and the one in the best position to talk about the TRUTH on what really happened on October 25, the day before the unveiling of my "BABY."

The problem started when facts got mixed up due to the pressures of the day. My mind that day became a virtual freeway, a major highway to a traffic jam of words. Despite that, I was so careful in choosing the words I passed from Roy Mabasa and others at the NPC to Neo Angono Artists and vice versa. I became a virtual cable that transmitted valuable information from one line to the other.

Now the facts: First, I NEVER said that the any Palace rep ordered the alterations. What I told the artists was that I WAS TOLD that the president's men are coming over AGAIN to inspect the mural. BY president's men, I clarified that people from the Protocol and some security inspectors were included. NOT ONLY THE PSG. I said "AGAIN" because for your information I was the CHAIRMAN OF THE SECURITY COMMITTEE FOR THE ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION. Mr. Mabasa and I already met with "THE PRESIDENT'S MEN" to discuss security matters and the anniversary program as early as October 22. In that meeting, which transpired inside the NPC Board Room, I showed the PSG officers and protocol staff photos of the mural to be unveiled. I possessed complete photos of the artwork because I AM THE PROJECT DIRECTOR.
And to set the record straight. And I swear this to the high heavens . I bet my family's name on this in the name of TRUTH: THOSE WHO SAW THE PICTURES LIKED THE ARTWORK! Shock and awe! Roy instructed me to place my laptop on top of the table and showed the photos of the mural to each person present. I assure you, NAGUSTUHAN NILA ANG MURAL. Just that. Hindi na pinagusapan ulit.
After that security meeting, I immediately called up Neo Artists to push through with the scheduled delivery the following day, October 23. At one point, I guess I even happily informed them that the president's staff liked the mural. I could not recall if it was them or if I told other people about it.
If you wanna know what happened between that meeting and until the mural has been delivered, JUST READ MY EARLIER POST BELOW.
Let's jump: October 25, 10:00 a.m.
I just woke up after a night's drink at NPC when I received a call from Roy. Although we inspected the mural the night before, Roy was not there. Naturally, all officers who were not present during the delivery wuld make a separate inspection the next day. Eh pambihira naman kasi ang mga DATI kong kaibigan. Dalawang buwan nila kasama ang mural samantalang kami ay dalawang oras lang yata nung gabing iyon. We set October 23 as the original delivery date to allow for enough room for possible changes or improvments. That fateful day. DAY OF INFAMY FOR THOSE ARTISTS, nagsilayas sila dahil kulang pa daw ang Isandaanlibong pisong hawak ko. kUMPLETUHIN DAW BEFORE NOON OR AALIS SILA. But they took off 10:30 a.m... well, just read the post below. Anyway, so Roy called and said he found some disturbing marks on the mural (the triangle enclosed ALIBATA "K" which may be perceived as the symbol of the NDF, the alibata on red and white background which may be perceived as rightist, the INVERTED FLAG on the newspaper at the centerpiece, the AWKWARD Npc Digest that carried a political matter instead of an internal issue being an internal publication, among other things. Please take note that the Headline PRESS FREEDOM FIGHTER'S SON ABDUCTED originally appeared on the newspaper held by Rizal entitled THE PHILIPPINES TODAY. The night of the delivery. Jerry Yap requested that the name of the paper be changed to NPC DIGEST. Since the artists were all tired, they went home a little past 8. It was only when they left that we realized the NPC Digest should not carry a political issue since it is just an internal publication. But seeing the NPC Digest carrying such a story would be awkward. Far from reality. So we decided to have it corrected. And to avoid major damage, we opted to have only a few letters deleted. Thus came the planned headline PRESS FREEDOM FIGHT IS ON. This title on the NPC DIGEST? Nothing fits better!
On the deletion of the International Federation of Journalists' statement about the HUman Security Act, there was no offense meant against the group. IN FACT, THE IFJ BANNER IS STILL UP TO NOW INCLUDED AMONG THE STREAMERS OF RALLYISTS IN THE RALLY SCENE ON THE MURAL. The reason for the planned change in the IFJ statement was that we have to place there a statement instead of the Confederation of Asean JOurnalist where the NPC is affiliated. It was sad that the CAJ was not placed anywhere there.
Roy said, and I quote: "BAKA MAPAHIYA TAYO AT YONG MGA ARTISTS KASI MAY LEFT AND RIGHT POLITICAL SYMBOLS KAMING NAKITA." I never knew what he meant by KAMI. But he continued, "A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE COMING OVER, DIRECTOR. WE NEED TO CALL THE ARTISTS AND MAKE A FEW MORE IMPROVEMENTS. AYAW NATING MAY LEFT OR RIGHT DITO KASI MAGSASUFFER ANG INTEGRITY NG MURAL NATIN BEING A NEUTRAL ARTWORK. PLEASE TELL THEM TO PLACE ALL ALIBATA INSIDE A SUN FIGURE."
Then it struck me: THE NPC SEAL ITSELF HAS AN ALIBATA INSIDE AN 8-RAY SUN. So, enclosing all alibatas on the mural in 8-rayed suns would put the NPC everywhere on the mural. What an intelligent idea, I thought. The mix up occurred when he told me that even the PSG are making a final security inspection at the NPC (Just that). So I told the artists that. Iba na pala ang impression at dating. At first I had a negative impression about the final security inspection too. But the mural was not at all a security issue. Napansin man ang mga symbols, LAHAT NAMAN NG TAO DUN NAPANSIN ANG MGA IYON. Kung mayroong ayaw mapahiya si Roy, it's the artists, the NPC and the mural.
Upon his instructions, I called up the artists and HUMBLY requested for them to come back or just send a couple of artists to do the MINOR ALTERATIONS. Ang magaling na si Richard Gappi, na siyang may pakana ng pulitika sa grupo nila pero hindi naman pintor ay tinanong ako: Bakit daw? So I relayed Roy's message: "Natatakot si Roy na baka sa unveiling pa lang may masama ng critique. Ayaw ng may political symbols. Maraming taong pupunta at DADATING DIN ANG PSG at iba pa. Baka DAW mapansin ayusin na natin. Then goes gappi's usual response: "ITATANONG KO SA GRUPO!" I begged him to come over. Or just send two artists at the most. "Huwag mo ng itanong. Kung kailangang sunduin ko kayo gagawin ko or mag rent na lang diyan. Well pay here for everything."
"Magtatawagan daw sila."
Then another call from Roy came in: "Egco asan na mga artists mo?" Sabi ko: "Hahanap pa ng pupunta." He said "Ok" then hang up.
Then I received a text message from Mr. Gappi ( Di ba sa English Gapi means TALO? Just asking). Malabo daw at wala mga tao! Despite the LAME excuse, I tried to contact the other leaders of the group and finally got connected with Carlos Totong Francisco II (I admire this fellow). I told him "TOTONG PLEASE NAMAN O. TAPUSIN NA NATIN LAHAT NG PROBLEMA SA MURAL. MAY KAUNTING CORRECTIONS LANG. KASI NATATAKOT SI ROY NA BAKA PANGIT NGA ANG MAGING KRITIKO SA MURAL. MADAMI DADATING NA TAO. SI PRESIDENTE, MAYOR LIM ETC. MAY NAKAPANSIN DAW NUNG MGA SIMBOLO. ITATAYA KO NA PAGKAKAIBIGAN NATIN DITO PLEASE. NAKIKIUSAP AKO. AYOKO KAUSAP ANG IBANG KAGRUPO MO. MAGUGULO SILA. IN FACT, KUNDI DAHIL SA YO AT KAY WIRE DI KO IBIBIGAY SA INYO YAN PROJECT. SI GAPPI AND CHITOY I DONT TRUST THEM. AYAW NA NILA MAGPAPUNTA NG TAO. KUNG PWEDE SANA IKAW AT SI EBOK OR KAHIT SINO"
Totong asured me: "Sige pare. Punta ko kina wire ngayon. Sabihin ko lahat ng concerns niyo. Text kita gaad."
Then Roy called me up again: "EGCO, NASAN NA SILA? ANO SABI?" I replied: "PARA SIGURADO PUPUNTAHAN KO NA LANG. SUSUNDUIN KO SA ANGONO." hE SAID: "GOOD. PUNTAHAN MO NA. KAMI NA BAHAL DITO NI JERRY (YAP)."
So, even without taking a bath. I got my car keys and went straight to my car in my shortpants. Started the van and went off. A kilometer away, I received a text mesasge from TOTONG FRANCISCO. "PARE, PASENCYA KA NA TALAGA. DI RAW MAKAKAPUNTA GRUPO. YON ANG NAGING DESISYON. GUSTUHIN KO MAN SUMAMA, SUMUSUNOD LANG KAMI SA DESISYON NG GRUPO." He offered no other explanation. I turned the car back toward the house.
Once there, I told Roy about the bad news. "PARE AYAW NA PUMUNTA." He said: "pilitin mo, direktor. Sila din mapupulaan dito. Mahirap na. ALLOWED NAMAN TAYO TO MAKE SUGGESTIONS E."
So for the last time, I tried to call up the artists again. I told them: "Ayoko rin munang galawin ang mural. Im just following orders. Ayoko naman parang may ipiplease kaming tao. Mahirap namang parang ipiplease namin si presidente. Pag ganun di maganda yon para kay GMA at sa lahat sa ating involved. Nagaaway na kami ni Roy. Nabubwisit na ko." I also told Roy that.
Kako: "PARE. PARA NAMANG IPIPLEASE LANG NATIN SI GMA NIYAN E. MAPUPULAAN TAYO. HINDI KAYA?" He retorted: "HINDI SA GANON DIREKTOR. DI LANG SI PRESIDENTE PUPUNTA DITO. THERE WILL ALSO BE ART CRITICS, ART CONNOSIEURS, LOCAL POLITICIANS AND MEMBERS OF THE DIPLOMATIC COMUNITY. AYAW NATING MAGMUKANG KAHIYA HIYA LAHAT TAYO DAHIL BAKA MAKITA YONG SYMBOLS. AYAW NATIN NG MAY KALIWA O KANAN O KAHIT ANONG MAY BAHID PULITIKA. NPC LANG."
And I believed him. He sounded really, really sincere. He was.
At that moment, a lot of things have been going inside my mind. A call, text message from Roy etc. A call, text message fromt he artists. What a predicament! I know it was somewhere along that way that the facts got mixed up. OR DID SOMEONE FROM THE OTHER LINE DELIBERATELY MIX IT UP. NOW, IM LED TO BELIEVE THAT THE ARTISTS WANTED THE SYMBOLS TO REMAIN. TO BE SEEN. FOR WHATEVER REASON, ONLY THEY (AND PROBABLY ROY MABASA) KNEW.
Nonetheless, a heated argument ensued between me and the then panicking poor Roy. I was also having an argument with the great Gapi (English: LOSER?). I asked him why they are refusing to come over and do the REQUESTED IMPROVEMENTS. He said again. And this I tell you has been his classic line: "NAGDESISYON NA ANG GRUPO." Paano naman ang desisyon namin?
Then since, I knew they were cooking up something. They saw an opportunity to fan a flame for it to burst out into a fiery furnace. COLLECTIVE. GRUPO. COLLECTIVE. I remember my days as a young activist also fooled into believing the falsehearted principles of a passe ideology.
When the Inquirer story came out with the following quotes: "NPC director Joel Sy Egco said members of the Presidential Security Group had inspected the mural and noted certain “leftist marks.” Twas right because everybody did notice those marks. We noticed.. Other visitors noticed. Other journalists did- everyone.
AND NEVER DID I SAY TO ANYONE THAT THE PSG ORDERED THE ALTERATIONS. THEY NEVER DID! JUST AN UNFORTUNATE MIXING UP OF A LOT OF DETAILS THAT ENDED UP INTO A CRUCIAL (OR DELIBERATE) MISUNDERSTANDING- THAT THE PSG INFLUENCED US INTO CHANGING PORTIONS OF THE MURAL. WALA SILANG IBANG SINABI KUNDI MAGANDA ANG MURAL. I JUST WOULD LIKE TO SET THAT RECORD STRAIGHT.
IT WAS MY PRESIDENT, ROY, WHO JUST GOT WORRIED OVER WHAT CRITICS MIGHT SAY ABOUT THE MURAL. AND BY GOD, HE HAD JUST BEEN HONEST AND CAREFUL. THERE WAS ENOUGH TIME FOR THE ARTISTS TO RESPECT HIS SUGGESTIONS. I DONT KNOW UNTIL NOW WHY THE ARTISTS SEEMED SO AFRAID WHENEVER THEY WERE INSIDE THE NPC. PARANG SINISILABAN ANG MGA PUWET.
So when I realized the artists will no longer make the corrections, I told Roy it was hopeless. NAGMAMATIGAS SILA PARE. I could feel his disappointment and rage. 'ATIN NAMAN ANG MURAL. WE CAN DO ANYTHING. WALANG KUWENTANG KAUSAP MGA ARTISTS NA YAN. SIMPLENG PAKIUSAP HINDI MAGAWA. PAMBIHIRA SILA."
That night, I was informed that an unknown artist was making very few and minor changes on the artwork. So I rushed to the NPC and when I got there late in the evening, I saw the changes. To my dismay. I called Roy for an explanation. "PARE BAKIT GANITO ITO? PARANG PINTOR NG NITSO GUMAWA!" He replied: "ANO BA NANGYARI? UMALIS NA KASI AKO DI KO NA NAKITA GINAWA." I answered: 'NAGLAGAY NG IBONG ADARNA NA WALANG BALAHIBO AT NAKAKULONG SA HAWLA TAPOS MAY MGA BIGOTE NA SI POPOY LAGMAN AT JOHN LLOYD CRUZ." (Said this in jest)
That time we never really knew to whom the images belonged. I was informed later by the artists that it was Jose Lacaba "NA PWEDE DING MAGING SI ARMANDO MALAY" according to Gapi. (HA? Richard, ikaw nagsabi sa kin nun! Mas malala pala interprestasyon niyo. Nagiiba ang identity. Parang Dr. Jekyl and Mr Hyde! Whew!) Then he said the guy near the truck wearing what appears to be a hardhat was Randy David. I said "Ok."
Nonetheless, I was enraged by the changes. Roy wasnt there when it was done. I arrived late. I even told the waiters in the restaurant: "NASAN BA UNG GUMAWA NITO? PAKIKUHA YONG BARIL KO SA VAN AT BABARILIN KO LANG!" Many witnessed how infuriated I was. Yet Roy told me: "OK LANG YAN BROD. NEO CAN COME IN ANYTIME TO MAKE THE CORRECTIONS. DI NAMAN SADYA E. THOSE ARE ONLY TEMPORARY. IN GOOD FAITH NAMAN. IPAAAYOS NATIN SA ARTISTS."
I told him: "PUTANG INA NAMAN EH. ALAM MO NAMAN MAHIRAP KAUSAP MGA YUN. MASAYADONG BANGUNGOT NA INABOT KO SA MGA YON."
Later, I informed the NPC Board that I was boycotting the unveiling NOT BECUASE THE PRESIDENT WAS ATTENDING but because "EH PUTANG INA NAMAN NANGYARI DUN SA BABY KO (MURAL) NAGKAROON NG IBONG HUBAD. AYOKO UMATEND NABUBUWISIT AKO."
So, although I was voted CHAIRMAN OF THE COMMITTEE ON SECURITY, I did not attend. Upon Roy's instructions, I called up the artists again to make the necessary corrections in the morning of the day of unveiling. AYAW LALO NILA! So, I told them WAG NA TAYO PUMUNTA. I decided not to attend the rites because I wanted to prevent a disaster. Working with the artists for a long time familiarized me with their behaviors. I knew something bad (or worse) would happen if they were there.
Nevertheless, I proposed to the Board that we arrange a night of thanksgiving and celebration with the artists. We scheduled it for the following Wednesday. I told Roy to prepare a bash! Night of music! Beer, food and liquor. A party! I told Jerry Yap to prepare somekind of a "BONUS" for the artists. And as we celebrate, I suggested that the final touches be made at the same time. Roy and Jerry immediately approved of my proposal, which include presenting the artists with an NPC resolution expressing its PROFOUND GRATITUDE and to give each participatign artist a PLAQUE OF APPRECIATION. Shit! Ganyan Pala Kasama ang NPC!
"KAYANG KAYA NG NEO AYUSIN YAN BAGO PA TAYO MALASING," I told Roy. I even told Mr. Gappi about the planned celebration for them. Alam niyo ba ang sagot niya? He uttered his INFAMOUS line again: "DISCUSS NAMIN YAN SA GRUPO. PAG-UUSAPAN NG GRUPO."
The nightmare happened three days later, Monday. While I was in Nueva Ecija, Roy called me: "PINAPUNTA MO BA ANG NEO SA NPC?" I answered: "BAKIT KO NAMAN SILA PAPUNTAHIN E MIYERKULES ANG USAPAN?" "EH, NANDUN DAW NAGKUKUHA PICTURES," he replied.
I even assured him: "DON'T WORRY. SIGURO SINILIP LANG YUNG MGA AAYUSIN NILA."
"oK." Roy hang up.
On Tuesday evening, while I was driving back to Manila and upon reaching the Bocaue exit, I received a message from the LOSER. It read: "BINABOY NIYO ANG MURAL NAMIN! MGA BERDUGO KAYO NG SINING! ETC. ETC. ETC."
I asked him: "Bakit pare" What happened ba?"
Gappi sent this reply: "Joel, binaboy niyo ang mural namin. Tangina niyo. Mga berdugo kayo." At ito na ang mga sumunod: "binaboy ng mga berdugo ng sining ang mural namin na nasa 4th floor, headline restaurant, sa loob ng npc building sa intramuros." OH MY! THEY FORGOT THE ZIP CODE!
Was that a press release?
Then I told Richard Gapi: "Pare wag kayo ganiyan. Kung galit kayo sa isang tao, wag naman idadamay ang buong institution. UnfaIr sa aming mga inosenteng members yan. Tulad ko. I fought for you to win the contract. I fought for you til the end. I even fought with Roy last time. The NPC officers sided with me. Id like to assure you, HINDI NPC ANG KALABAN."

AT HETO NA! ALAM NINYO BA ANG SAGOT NI GAPI? ANO PA? (TO THIS EFFECT)
"Joel NAPAGDESISYUNAN NG GRUPO (!) na irekalmo ang ginawa ninyo. Kausap na namin ngayoN si Adrian Cristobal ng IPO. Ikinalat na namin sa lahat ng mga kaibigan namin sa media at artist community ang ginawa ninyo. naemail na namin sa lahat."
At one point, I received probably a missent message from Gapi that reads "Ate Weng (Paraan of NUJP?), binaboy ng NPC ang mural namin. blah! blah! blah!..."
Then It came to me: THESE MONSTERS WANTED TO CREATE A SCENE. IMAGINE MONDAY THEY WENT TO TAKE PICTURES OF THE PORTIONS THAT NEEDED TO BE CORRECTED. THE NEXT DAY IBA NA. ANAK NG TOKWA! THEY WERE HURLING INVECTIVES AT US. CURSING US. ACCUSING US OF DEFILING "THEIR" MURAL.
I suspected that a bright boy, the head of the COLLECTIVE, could have seen an opening. "THE MURAL WAS BASTARDIZED TO PLEASE GMA! THE NPC DEFILED THE MURAL UPON PSG'S ORDERS!" instead of "I-PERFECT NA NATIN YUNG MURAL THEN LET'S HAVE A PARTY." Unfortunate.
MINURA PA KAMI NG MGA TARANTADO! MATAGAL NA MAY NAGSABI SA AMIN NA ANG NAAC AY HINDI NEO ANGONO ARTISTS COLLECTIVE KUNDI... NAAC- NARCISO ANTAZO ARAMIL COMMAND. WHATEVER AND WHOEVER THAT NARCISO IS, i dont give a damn.
But we refused to believe they are leftists. I myself refused to believe until now out of respect and admiration.

OUR EXPERIENCE SHOULD SERVE AS A WARNING TO OTHERS. I feel bad about what happened. Kung hindi sana inuna ang pagiging arogante ng mga lider ng grupong ito, hindi sana umabot sa ganito. Gappi and Zapata, I never really trusted them. My concern goes for the other members of the group who, up to now, I still admire. YOU SHOULD BETTER CONSIDER A CHANGE IN LEADERSHIP MY FRIENDS. And if you happen to get close to Mayor Au Villamayor, warn her, tell her her administration's been I-N-F-I-L-T-R-A-T-E-D.

CONCLUSION: The NPC mural we commissioned does not reflect the interests of the Club. It veered away from what was agreed upon. There was a clear-cut policy against putting living persons on it or at least they should have given us due courtesy to introduce us to their friends on the mural. The sons of bitches who lead (and exploit!) the sorry group of painters wanted a mural that would please the Philippine Daily Inquirer because this group is so HUNGRY for publicity. TAKAW NA TAKAW AT UHAW NA UHAW SA KATANYAGAN. Sa bandang huli ang bagsak ay sa KAHIHIYAN! What we wanted was an INDEPENDENT mural. Timeless. NEUTRAL.

WE DO NOT LIKE IT.

No comments: