Monday, December 3, 2007

I'm Proud of My NPC

Despite the wrong accusations hurled at us by those Angono fools, the National Press Club has risen up and answered the call of duty to protect its brethren some of whom were unduly detained in the aftermath of the Peninsula Manila siege. I was supposed to be there. My friend and kumpare Atty Argee Guevarra called me up that day and asked me to join them at the PEN. I yielded, thinking that being with the core group would allow me to access the freshest of news that I could deliver to the people. I sought the permission of my president Roy Mabasa who warned me against making political statements once there. As he said, sedition is not a journalist's "province." And I assured him yes, I will join the group not as a participant but as a mere observer. But before I left my computer, Argee asked me to clarify to all people that the movement was spontaneous. It was never prepared (and look at what happened after!). So I pounded my keyboard and started writing a statement for Argee. It wasn't me who was talking but him. As a friend, he dictated to me everything and I just wrote it and sent it to other people.
But I didn't condone their acts. As a journalist, I should not. However, who would not be drawn into such an interesting opportunity? REAL journalists know how and when to get relevant stories. Stories that are BOLD. Stories that happens once in a blue moon.
To me, the Manila Pen incident was among those rarest of moments. I regret that I failed to arrive sooner there. I was late because of the statement of Argee which I had to write for him.
On the way, I heard on radio that the place had been cordoned off. I called Argee up and said I was sorry. That story was not for me.

On Monday we filed a case against officials who arrested our colleagues. I posted the story that I submitted to my newspaper that day below. Please refer to it.

No comments: