Thursday, December 9, 2010

A true officer and a gentleman

A true officer and a gentleman

As we were having dinner the other night in a Quezon City restaurant, Bureau of Jail Management and Penology (BJMP) chief, Director Rosendo Dial, mentioned in passing a supposed P50 million bribe attempt by members of the powerful Ampatuan clan on the former warden of the Metro Manila District Jail in Camp Bagong Diwa, where the suspects in the gruesome Ampatuan massacre are presently being held.

In my long years as a journalist, I- like other members of the media around- have developed a sense for detecting news even in casual conversations such as the one we were having then. When I heard about my good old friend general’s story about the foiled bribery, only one thing crossed my mind: That’s one helluvah news, which any ordinary journalist would itch to write about.

Then I dug for more details. Ross Dial was very accommodating, answering bluntly each of my pointblank question. So as not to make the story longer, please refer to our banner news headline.

What we agreed on was for me to write the story for The Manila Times where I rarely submit stories as senior contributor. I called up the Times’ publisher but quickly changed my mind for a couple of reasons. First, if I would write it alone, my colleagues at the National Press Club might not like it as I would be acting as if to “outscoop” them. “Scoop” in journalism jargon means in Tagalog “pinagmukha kitang tanga dahil tutulog-tulog ka sa pansitan.”

So, I just decided to relay the information to NPC President Jerry Yap and eventually we decided to reveal the supposed bribery and escape plan in a press conference yesterday, which we did.

After the usual “goodbyes” and “thank yous,” The good general made one final revelation as we were going down the stairs to the restaurant’s parking lot. He said the latest information that has reached him was that the bribe amount was actually P150 million. “I’ll quote you on this,” I told him. He curtly replied: “I will not deny it. I’ll say that we have been receiving these infos.”

Now that the story’s been told, we at the NPC are posed to send letters of commendation and appreciation for the professionalism and propriety displayed by the BJMP officials concerned. They have set an example to be followed by others who may be tempted with quick fortune in exchange for the devil’s release from hell.

The Philippine National Police should similarly make similar revelations because we know that with the enormous wealth the Ampatuan family possesses, they could even buy out Satan’s position. They were even able to buy the services of a once respected lawyer who is now being despised and puked on by many.

When the time comes for these people to go, I hope nobody would remember them in a thousand years.

However, knowing that there are still honest and straight officials like Gen. Dial and his men inspires me not to lose hope that this country, somehow, could still rise up from the ruins, from the debris wrought by hatred, divisiveness, envy and ignorance.

My hats off to Gen. Dial and his people. May your tribe increase.

No comments: